Parish History

Fr. Borno speaks about our parish history.

Video courtesy of Lynn Cluess Manzione, Click Images, Inc.

Chronology of the Church

1874Father McNamee appointed Pastor of the church
1874Lower church completed (Fall)
1875Rectory built
1883St. Teresa’s Academy founded
1883Sisters of St. Joseph invited to teach
1887Upper church completed
1887Solemnly blessed by Bishop Loughlin
1890Bishop Louglin passed to eternal reward
1892Bishop McDonnell choses – second bishop of Brooklyn
1899Silver Anniversary of St. Teresa’s
1901New convent for sister of St. Joseph
1905Monsignor McNamme made Domestic Prelate
1907Carmelites established monastery
1912Monsignor McNamee made Vicar General, Supervisor of Religious – of diocese
1912New School for girls erected
1918Fathers Locksley Appo and Aloysius Gillick attend Italian Mission on Grand Avenue until 1918
1919Monisignor Mcnamee celebrates Golden Anniversary with simple public Mass
1921Bishop McDonnell passed to his eternal reward
1921Bishop Molloy chosen third Bishop of Brooklyn
1923New school for boy’s opened
1923St. Teresa’s contribute $50,000.00 to Bishop Molloy for Free Catholic High Schools
1924Parish celebrates Golden Jubilee
1928Auditorium commenced
1928Monsignor McNamee passed to eternal reward
1929Monsignor Donohor appointed second pastor of St. Teresa’s Church
1929St. Teresa’s opened auditorium
1933Monsignor Donohor passed to eternal reward
1933Monsignor Gorman, appointed third pastor
1935Xaverian brothers teach in Boy’s school
1935Trinitarian assist in work of poor and census
1945Monsignor Gorman transferred to St. Francis of Assisi
1945Monsignor Sharkey appointed fourth pastor of St. Teresa’s.
1947New Baptistry opened and Façade remodelled
1949Sanctuary remodelled
1949Parish Celebrates Diamond Jubilee.